Making Perfect Crêpes
You don’t have to go to Montreal or Paris to get perfect crepes. Sephra have made learning how to use a crêpe maker easy for your food truck, cafe, restaurant or even right at home! Using our electric crêpe maker and our “just-add-water” Gourmet Crêpe Mix it’s easy to make perfect crêpes, every time.
Equipment and Ingredients
Seasoning Your Crepe Maker
First things first your Crêpe maker must be seasoned before first use, if you have seasoned your maker already, you can skip this step. For those people lucky enough to have themselves a brand new maker here’s some simple instructions on how to season your crêpe maker:
This operation (lasting 1 to 1 1/2 hours) is necessary when Griddles are new. Use frying oil ONLY and no other ingredients. For successful seasoning.
- Plug the power supply cable.
- Switch on the appliance.
- Heat the appliance to 200°C (your appliance has reached the required temperature when the orange indicator light goes out).
- Keep the appliance at this temperature for the duration of seasoning.
- Pour the equivalent of a tablespoon of cooking of frying oil into the centre of the Griddle.
- Using a wiper pad spread oil evenly, and then let it cook for 5 to 10 minutes so that the Griddle becomes burnished and completely dry.
- Repeat previous operation eight times, decreasing the amount of oil used each time, but carefully respecting the 5 – 10 minutes cooking time for each layer of oil.
A well-seasoned Griddle is chestnut coloured (dark brown) and has a shine. With our maker now nicely seasoned, let’s make some crêpes!
Setting Up Your Crepe-making Station
Turn your crepe maker to 200°C to preheat, while it is heating up we’ll get our batter made. Thanks to our easy to use mix, this step couldn’t be easier! To make 10 crepes, simply mix 28oz (3.5 cups) of our gourmet crepe mix with 32oz (4cups) of water. and whisk until smooth, that’s all there is to it!
Next we can get our station set up around our crepe maker. You will want your t-spreader in a small tray of water and your brush handy for cleaning it off, your batter and a ladel and whatever toppings you want nearby.
Now that our maker has heated up, it’s time to make some crepes!
- Lightly coat your seasoned, pre-heated crepe maker using your Sephra greaser (you can also use cooking spray, oil or butter.)
- For a 14″ crepe, use the ladel to spoon 4oz (1/2 cup) of batter onto the center of the crepe maker
- Using the T-Spreader, Spread the crepe batter around the maker in a steady, counter-clockwise, circular motion. It can be a bit tricky to get the technique right at first, but keep at it!
- Allow the crepe to cook for 30-40 seconds and flip (you can use our spatula to make flipping a lot easier!)
- Cook for a further 20-30 seconds
- Add your desired toppings or fillings
- Roll or fold and serve
- Repeat as many times as you like!
- Clean the frame with a sponge dipped in warm water and diluted liquid detergent.
- Never use abrasive products or metallic brushes.
- Do not clean the crepe maker under Water.
- Do not immerse the crepe maker.
- Due to the high temperature of the appliance, it is normal for the stainless steel to turn brown in time.
THE CREPE MAKER
- After use, simply wipe the maker; do not wash it.
- Never suddenly cool plates.
- Preparing Crêpes requires a contribution of fat on the Griddle by: • Lubricating using the Wiper Pad. • Fat in the Batter according to recipes.
- These fats will gradually thicken the initial seasoning. Avoid seasoning that becomes too thick because: • It acts as an insulator and interferes with the cooking. • It may flake off or give the impression that the metal disintegrates. Therefore, strip regularly using an Abrasive Stone. If the seasoning is too thick, carry out regular stripping.
- Please note: It is possible to strip the Plate by blasting. After these operations the seasoning process must be repeated.
Sephra Chocolate Fountains are recognized worldwide primarily as being the highest quality chocolate fountains available. In addition to chocolate fountains, we also provide a great range of high-quality waffle makers, crepe makers, donut machines, chocolate equipment, waffle mixes, crepe mix and chocolate. At Sephra, we take great pride in providing our customers using our equipment and supplies with a wonderful experience .
Since our inception in 2003, Sephra has set the standard for innovation and quality. We are a family owned and operated company whose employees enjoy working together and take pride in knowing that, through our efforts, thousands of other families and businesses are generating income to support themselves.